The second Deputy speaker of Parliament, Hon Alban Kingsford Bagbin has dispelled claims he is among some former appointees under the erstwhile National Democratic Congress (NDC) government who received double salaries under the previous administration.
“The CID has not gotten in touch with me concerning any investigation,” the Nadowli-Kaleo MP told Neil-Armstrong Mortagbe on Radio XYZ 93.1MHZ Tuesday.
The Daily Guide Newspaper last week published a list of some current and former members of parliament who benefitted from double salary which is believed to have begun from 2012.
Among the 25 names published by the paper included the former majority leader, Alban Bagbin; former Ningo Prampram MP, ET Mensah; Minority Leader, Haruna Iddrisu; former Energy and Petroleum Minister,Emmanuel Armah-Kofi Buah, and former Sports Minister, Nii Lantey Vanderpuye.
But Mr Bagbin, who was surprised at the news articles pointing to him as one who went contrary to the laws and took double salary, stated that he has not been invited by the Criminal Investigative Department (CID) of the Ghana Police Service in connection with the saga that has dominated the media space in the country.
“I have not received any letter of invitation by the Police CID to assist them in the investigation of any crime. I have read publications from various media always starting with my name and I had the opportunity to deny this same publication on Radio Gold. As I speak to you today, I have still not received any such letter of invitation. I don’t know where people are getting this from,” he said.
The former Health Minister wondered why his name would be dragged in the mud while there is no evidence to that effect.
When asked to guess the possible reasons his name is added to the list of those scheduled to meet the CID, Mr Bagbin said: “Maybe some people are closer to the CID than some of us or maybe they are sniffing information from them…People may be adding my name because I was also one time member of parliament and a minister of state during the late Professor Mills regime.”
Mr Bagbin, an NDC flagbearer hopeful noted he also served as a member of the president’s priority task-force during the tenure of H.E John Dramani Mahama “and so if my colleagues are being called, the suspicion is that I will also be part of it.”
“… But I have not received any formal invitation to that effect. As I speak, the CID has not gotten in touch with me,” he reiterated.