Political scientist and Chief director of the ministry of parliamentary affairs Dr. Evans Aggrey Darko has bemoaned what he says is the high attrition rate in parliament.
The concerns come after 9 MPs lost their ticket to represent the NDC in the Saturday primaries of the party.
Speaking to Francis Abban on the Morning Starr Monday, Dr. Aggrey Darko urged MPs to strike a good balance between their work in Accra and their relationship with constituents.
“A group of people will determine who should represent them and as a matter of fact the people cannot be denied that right at all. The high attrition rate is very bad, looking at it from one angle. However, on the other hand, we cannot deny people their right of deciding who represents them. As a country if we’re looking at ways we want to sanitize our political system, we’ll have to spend,” he said.
The losers in the Saturday polls includded Wa West MP Joseph Yieleh Chireh.
Below is the list of MPs who were defeated at the polls
● Emmanuel Nii Okai Laryea [Amasaman constituency]
● Joseph Yieleh Chireh [Wa west constituency]
● Mathias Kwame Ntow [Aowin constituency]
● Amenga-Etogo [Chiana Paga constituency]
● Ras Mubarak [Kumbungu constituency]
● Francis Dakura [Jirapa constituency]
● Kwesi Asiamah [Buem constituency]
● Aziz Abdul Muniru [Akan constituency]
● Eric Osei-Owusu [Afram Plains south constituency)