A Deputy National Youth Organizer of the opposition National Democratic Congress (NDC), Edem Agbana has urged teacher trainees in the various colleges of education to come together in efforts to oust President Akufo-Addo from office.
In an article giving five (5) reasons why teacher trainees must support the flag bearer of the NDC, John Mahama, with their votes in the upcoming elections, Agana, a former student leader and award winning youth activist, stated that “trainee teachers must be rest assured that the next NDC government will restore automatic and direct recruitment of teachers into the Ghana Education Service (GES).”
The youth leader also bemoaned licensure examination for trained teachers which was instituted by the Akufo-Addo government and assured that when they vote former president Mahama into government, the Mahama adminstration “will CANCEL the teacher licensure examination.”
“The licensing of teachers will be done based on your performance in the schools,” the former SRC President for University of Ghana noted as he revealed that the NDC has good policies for trainee and trained teachers.
Below is his statement;
All my brothers & sisters in Colleges of Education, please take note …
1. In an era where employment has become a headache for the Ghanaian youth, the Akufo-Addo government has insensitively taken away automatic recruitment of teachers. Trainee teachers must be rest assured that the next NDC government will restore automatic and direct recruitment of teachers into the Ghana Education Service (GES).
2. The next NDC government will CANCEL the teacher licensure examination. The licensing of teachers will be done based on your performance in the schools. We piloted that scheme in Shai Osudoku in the 2015/2016 academic year. The NDC believes the examination conducted by the various Colleges is enough for a trainee to qualify as teacher. It is therefore unnecessary to conduct another examination for trainee teachers.
3. The NDC will abolish the COMPULSORY NATIONAL SERVICE. We believe your one year out-program suffices for a national service. It is a great service to nation. Unfortunately, it has been rendered useless and of no benefit to the nation by the NPP. The NDC will consider the one year out program as your National Service after which certificates would be awarded every Newly Qualified Teacher.
NB: With the current 4-year B.Ed program being ran by the colleges, there is a component called STS ( Supported Teaching Scheme) where student teachers go out to partner schools once every week to observe their mentors teach. This enables the students to develop various classroom skills and competencies even before leaving school.
Therefore, what used to be a one year out-program is now done in just one semester ( first semester of final year).
4. As the Flagbearer of the NDC has indicated, the next NDC government will restore the payment of allowances in FULL and in all 12 months in a calendar year. Unfortunately, the current government pays only Ghc 204 as monthly allowance for only eight months in a year and regrettably misinform the general public that they have fully restored the allowance.
5. We shall continue our infrastructure development across all 46 Colleges of Education. The NDC initiated GETFund projects in all colleges across the country. Regrettably, those projects have come to a halt. Today, Principals are in a tight corner, considering how they can admit new trainees this year since all hostels and lecture rooms are full as far as the implementation of the 4-year degree program is concerned.
As the Deputy National Youth Organizer of the NDC, I’m personally committed to fighting for better conditions for you. Let’s lead the advocacy for Change together. It is Possible Together.
The election is about our destiny. Be a Change Agent.