Minority To Sue Gov’t Over Imprudent Use Of Oil Cash For Free SHS

The Minority is threatening a legal action to compel the Finance Minister, Ken Ofori Atta to stick to the disbursement formula under the Petroleum Revenue Act.

The Minority say the records of expenditure of oil funds indicate that government has gone contrary to the distribution formula set out in the Petroleum Revenue Management Act to fund one of its flagship programmes, the Free Senior High School.

The decision follows a heated debate on Tuesday when the Finance Committee presented the 2017 annual report of the petroleum funds on the floor of the House.

The issue was first raised by Former Energy Minister, Emmanuel Armah Kofi Buah who is also the MP for Elembele.

To him, government was diverting funds from the Ghana Infrastructure Investment Fund to fund the Free SHS.

Speaking to Power News’ Princess Arita Anim, the Minority spokesperson on Finance, Cassiel Ato Forson called for explanation on why the government had started funding projects like the Nation Builders Corps (NaBCo) and the Free SHS.

He said per the Petroleum Revenue Management Act, 70% of the fund should go into the annual budget funding. Of that, 70% should also be dedicated toward Infrastructure development and the remaining 30% should be used in the certain priority areas for goods and services.

 

Source: Powerfmnonline.com

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button