The Ghana Medical Association (GMA) has disclosed that it was expecting an extension of the restrictions on human movement, to help curb the spread of the Coronavirus in Ghana.
The revelation comes after President Akufo-Addo announced in a televised address on Sunday that the 3-week lockdown on the Greater Accra and Kumasi areas has been lifted.
Mr Akufo-Addo went on to urge Ghanaians to continue to abide by all other measures put in place to contain and defeat the deadly virus that has infected 1042 and killed 9 in Ghana.
But in an interview with host Kwame Minkah on Dwaboase on Power 97.9 FM, Deputy General Secretary of the GMA, Dr Titus Beyuo, who Acknowledged the president’s powers to do relax the lockdown, expressed fear of a possible escalation of community infections.
As professionals at the forefront of this fight, we were expecting the lockdown to be extended,” Dr Beyuo said in Akan.
He believes the lockdown would have eased the work of the contact tracing team since persons whose blood samples would be taken would have no option than to stay in their localities for effective results.
“Now that the lockdown has been lifted, people cane travel anywhere within the country which is likely to be a challenge to get fight against the virus,” he said worryingly.
Dr Beyuo also noted that the medical professionals body were not happy with the delay of the distribution of personal protective equipment (PPEs) to health facilities across the country to ensure that frontline health workers will be safe when attending to suspected cases of COVID-19.
He said the albeit the Government had announced the distribution of PPEs, many health facilities outside the areas Coronavirus had been recorded were yet to receive their equipment, which he said was endangering their staff.
“As I speak, some of our medical practitioners, including nurses have been infected with the virus,” Dr Beyuo disclosed but would not disclose the number or link it to the lack of PPEs in some hospitals.
The GMA Deputy General Secretary also noted, the spread of the virus is real and advised citizens to adhere to the safety health protocols such as observing social distancing, washing of hands under running water and the wearing of facemasks especially whenever they want to visit health facilities.
“This is to ensure their own safety as well as our health workers,”he added.
Meanwhile, President Nana Akufo-Addo has assured that his Government is on top of the situation and would do whatever it takes to protect lives.
In his address last Sunday, the president posited that the withdrawal of the lockdown does not mean Ghana is free from the Covid-19 pandemic.
“We will continue to monitor closely events in some hotspots…Whenever the situation so warrants, a community in which the virus is identified as becoming prevalent will be locked-down, until there is a clear understanding of the trajectory of the virus that will allow us to contain it,” Akufo-Addo assured.
Despite the free movement of people, even in Accra, the epicentre of the virus, ban on public gatherings, including religious activities, parties, beaches, clubs are still in force across the country.
The president also announced that schools and universities remain closed.
By Henryson Okrah/ myxyzonline.com